Basilica del Santo Sepolcro
The Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre is one of the main churches in Barletta and it stands in the center of the city at the mouth of Corso Vittorio Emanuele, in Corso Garibaldi, where stands the famous Colossus of Barletta. As shown by its own denomination, the origins of the Basilica keep close ties with the Holy Land and the Sepulchre of Jesus Christ. It was built in Gothic-Burgundy style in the late the XII century and has recently been accomplished the restoration. The Baroque façade shows a pointed door, two blind arches and the remains of the pronaos.The peculiarity of the the left side is represented by deep blind arches with a Gothic portal of four poster.
Also the three apses surrounded by arcades are attractive. Strategically located between two ancient and important road axes of communication - the Adriatica and the Traiana road that leads to Rome - it was a place of transit for pilgrims to the Holy Land and for the Crusaders en route to Jerusalem from the port of Barletta. It was built on the ruins of the ancient basilica and dates back to medieval period between the end of the twelfth century and the beginning of the twelfth century. The present building is the result of numerous changes during thousands of years. Within it is preserved the well known Treasure of the Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre, which includes some sacred gold frescoes and paintings of famous painters depicting various religious figures, some coming from Palestine:
- the Patriarchal Cross (a piece of the True Cross of Jesus, who was brought in 1291 by Patriarch Randulphus);
- Tabernacle with the Christ in Majesty in almond;
- the Eucharistic Dove gilded copper;
- the Ostensorium dating back to the XII century.