Chiesa di Santa Irene
It is a symbol of the architecture of Lecce and was dedicated to Irene who was Lecce’s patron Saint bifore Saint Oronzo.
The building’s façade bears the town’s coat of arms, represented by a wolf under a holm-oak tree.
In construction since 1591 and designed by Francesco Grimaldi over the years it has been enriched by the works of many artists. Inside it is possible to admire the beautiful canvas that depicts Saint Irene painted by Giuseppe Verrio.